Sunday, February 15, 2009

after hours

So, I hate calling the after hours exchange for any of our doctors. I really mean it when I say hate. When they are not in the office, they should not have to be bothered by patients with questions or concerns that really can wait. That said, I have done it a few times when absolutely necessary. Today was one of those times. I feel like I've been run over, repeatedly, by a mack truck. 4 kids, and more than 39 months of breastfeeding, and I've come down with my first case of mastitis. Basically it's a clogged milk duct that somehow gets infected. Fortunately it's not contagious, so no one else should be getting sick from me, including Jackson. The best thing to do is actually to nurse as much as possible to help clear the plugged duct, even though it's incredibly painful. I'm also ridiculously achy, as in I have influenza achy. I gave in and called my ob's after hours exchange and had him call me in some antibiotics. Yes they are safe for the baby according to several websites, so hopefully I'll feel a million times better in a day or two, and Jackson will suffer no ill-effects, other than a miserable mommy. What a fabulous 3-day weekend, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I feel so sorry for you! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete