Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jackson's birth

As I said before, the labor and delivery definitely did not go how I had hoped, but we ended up with a beautiful, healthy boy and mommy, so I really can't complain since that is what matters.
Sean and I decided it would be the best decision to have me induced on Friday December 12th, especially after talking with my doctor about induciton options. My mom came over Thursday night since we had to leave so early Friday morning. Then at 2am Nathan woke up vomiting. My mom offered to get up and take care of him so we could sleep, but I really didn't get much. I was worried about Nathan and wondering if we should go through with the induction with him being so sick. But as my mom pointed out, she can handle a sick kid, and it would be awful for me to wait and catch the stomach virus and then go into labor while I'm sick.
So we arrived at the hospital at a little after 7 going on about 45 minutes of sleep. My doctor showed up and I told him about the nights events and that I may get an epidural anyway, but he said we would stick with the original plan. He broke my water and started the pitocin at 2 and said the highest we would go is 6. My contractions started regulating pretty quickly, but were just uncomfortable, not really painful. They continued to get closer together and stronger, but I was tolerating them well. Then about 11 I felt like I hit a wall and everything hurt a lot. I was having back labor again and even between the contractions my back wasn't relaxing. So I caved and asked for an epidural. It took about an hour to actually get my epidural because they had to run in enough saline. The anesthiologist was awesome and got it on the first try and I started feeling better within 10 minutes.
I got some rest for the nest couple of hours, and then the nurse came to check on my about 2:30. She asked if I was feeling a lot of pressure yet and I said not a lot so far. Over the next 10 minutes with each contraction the pressure got stronger and stronger and I finally told Sean I think the nurse need to come back and check me. She came in and checked me and was shocked that not only was I at 10 but she could see the baby's head. They called my dr. and prepped the room and told me not to push at all. My dr. finally arrived and got ready. I only pushed through 3 contractions and Jackson arrived. Sean got to announce if it was a boy or a girl. He was so excited it was a boy. I was happy I didn't tear or need an episiotomy, which meant no stitches.
I'm recovering really well, and Jackson is a champion nurser. We had a checkup for him already and in 2 days he gained 3 ounces. I am still really tired and sleeping as much as possible. I forgot how exhausting breastfeeding is at the beginning

No comments:

Post a Comment