After a lot of discussion, and I mean a ridiculous amount, Sean and I decided that an induction now would be the best plan. I did talk to my doctor prior to making this decision to see what my options really are. At first he made it sound like the only thing he could do to get labor going was to give me pitocin. I told him I didn't like that plan since I would love to go without an epidural this time, and I know pitocin makes contractions stronger and labor go much faster. Then he asked how far I was dilated at my last appointment. When I said 4, he said he can break my water and give me a small dose of pitocin to get things going. Once my contractions get regular he will turn off the pitocin and see if my body will continue to labor on it's own. He said of course there is no guarantee that my body wil cooperate and I may end up needing pitocin constantly to progress well, but most women will continue to labor on their own once things get going.
I am happy with this plan as I think it gives me the best chance of achieving the labor and delivery I am hoping for. I'm not so naive or unrealistic to believe that everything will go perfect though. I am already caving on the induction because I don't think that I will actually go into labor on my own, which is something I really wanted. I hate that this is how things are going to go, but I still feel I made the best decision given all the circumstances. I would appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers everyone can spare.
I will try to update this blog as soon as possible with all the good news about the baby and of course with pictures!