Tuesday, June 10, 2008

more work on the house

It's been a while since I posted anything about the work going on at the house. At the end of February we got the basement finished. We had the Owens Corning Basement Finishing system installed around the exterior walls and then we drywalled the interior parts. We are still working on getting the doors and trim installed, but at least it is usable space now. I didn't take any before pictures, but just imagine a room with concrete floors and walls crammed with a bunch of crap and boxes.
Here is how it looks now (please ignore all the toys strewn about, I was too lazy to clean up before taking the picture):




Because of finishing the basement, our upstiars living room was empty. I was content to leave it empty until we knew for sure what we wanted to put in there and had the money to buy it. Sean thought it was odd to have an empty living room for who knows how long, and thanks to Uncle Sam's stimulus check we went furniture shopping. We ended up with a sofa and love seat set from Ashley furniture, and a set of 3 black tables, also from Ashley. The sofa and love seat are so comfortable. I am still contemplating painting again (don't tell Sean, he doesn't know that), but for now it works since the furniture is neutral. I STILL haven't put up curtains in the living room because I can't find anything I like. Plus I'm not sure what the best plan of attack is for window treatments in there. So it's not like there are no curtains after living here for 3 years because I'm lazy, I'm just lost. I am also going to go and get a chair I have reupholstered. This chair is the most hideous chair I've ever seen. But I love the shape, so I decided it was worth saving. My mom had it and I think it was a chair that was left in the first house she and dad lived in, so it's old and crappy, but I think it will be beautiful when it's finished.
Here is the sofa and love seat we bought:

and here is the table set we bought:

And here is a picture of the living room as it is now:


The other room that was affected by the basement finising, was the office. All the kids toys were relocated to the basement, making the office more like an office and less like a room with an identity crisis. No major changes in there, but a bit of rearranging and hanging some shelves and pictures definitely make a difference anyway. Sorry no pictures of this one because it has actually become the holding place for Emma's old mattress, and it doesn't look so great with a bed in the middle of the room!

The last room that has gotten a recent overhaul is Emma's room. I know that seems like an unlikely room to do anything to, but because of the new baby, Emma and Megan are going to have to share for a while, which means we needed a more workable sleeping arrangement than trying to cram a toddler bed or twin bed into Emma's room alongside Emma's huge double bed. The solution... Bunk Beds! I really wanted white beds to math Emma's other furniture, but all the ones I liked were really expensive. We ended up with a chocolate brown set that is really plain and simple, but cute, and my plan is once the new baby is old enough to share the bunks will end up back in Megan's current room. Our plan is if we have another girl, she will share a room with Megan and Emma will get her room back to herself. And if it's a boy then he will share with Nathan, and Megan and Emma will each have their own rooms. Aren't we quite the planners?
Anyway here is a picture of Emma's room before(sorry it's not so great):

and with the new beds:


I still have a lot of work to do, but things are getting there. I still want to tile the half bath and repaint it. Plus we need to finish the trim in the basement and put up our crown molding, now that we bought it and it's just sitting in a pile in our foyer.

2 comments:

  1. I love all the new changes! And your new sofas are SO comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything turned out great! I would imagine that extra space in the basement is a lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete