Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Our new addition

Well, after getting no sleep Saturday night because of irregular, but uncomfortable contractions, my water broke at 3:50am. I woke up Sean and said, "Honey, my water broke." He said, "That means we need to go, right?" You would think having been through this twice before that question wouldn't need an answer, but he just sat and looked at me until I said yes. We got up and got dressed, told Sean's mom we were leaving and headed for the hospital. Luckily the trucks had already been plowing the roads, so they weren't too bad. After my water broke the contractions really slowed down, and actually got less painful. We got to the hospital and got checked in and the OB on staff actually had to some and check to make sure my water had broken. I said if it wasn't my water breaking, I want to know what came out of me! Of course my water had broken, and they called my dr. who said I needed pitocin since my contractions had practically stopped. I was already dilated to 4, so my dr. said I could have my epidural whenever. Around 8:30 the contractions picked up, but were still tolerable. I decided to get my epidural then because I didn't want to be miserable and trying to hold still for my epidural. The anestheseologist came and it took 3 tries to get my epidural in right. A little bit later I was still having some pain, so they tried to give me a litle boost in the meds to see if that would help, but it didn't. The anestheseologist came back and gave me a dose of some other medicine, which helped just enough that I could get some rest. I woke up in a lot of pain and the nurse checked me and said I was 9cm. I had gone from 6 to 9 in about an hour. She called my dr. and got all the delivery equipment ready. Sean helped me through the next several contractions by reminding me to breathe. I was in a lot of pain and wanted to push so bad. I felt like the baby was going to pop out any minute anyway. My dr. arrived, put on his gloves and I finally got to push. She was born literally 5 minutes later! Megan Elise arrived at 1:35pm, weighing in at 7 pounds 15 ounces, and was 20.5 inches long. Originally they said she weighed 7lbs. 6 oz., but after being weighed on another scale later, we found out she was a little bigger. I am feeling pretty good. I'm amazed at how good I'm doing. I think feeling so good is going to make it hard to not overdo it. Megan is doing great and only gets really mad when we change her clothes or her diaper.
Unfortunately, Nathan is sick, so when we got home today Sean had to take him to the dr. Nathan has a double ear infection and some sores in his mouth, so the dr. gave him some antibiotics and some tylenol with codeine to help him rest. Hopefully we can keep him away from Megan until he isn't contagious anymore and we can keep Megan well.
Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers. I'm sure we will need all the help we can get in the next couple of months. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment