Wednesday, November 21, 2007

10 months old

Megan is 10 months old today. In honor of the occasion she decided today that she would learn to stand up unassisted and how to play peek-a-boo. She can now go from a sitting position to squatting to standing without holding onto anything for support. She was really funny with the peek-a-boo game tonight. I held a shirt over her face and then pulled it down and said, "peek-a-boo". She immediately started holding the shirt up and then pulling it down and looking at me until I said peek-a-boo. It was really cute, even though she didn't always end up with the shirt completely covering her face. Yesterday she clapped for the first time. I guess she is a little late on this milestone, but we don't clap a lot around her, so it makes sense that she wouldn't pick up on that skill as quickly. She also seems to have learned to smile when I point the camera at her. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or not. I guess only time will tell.
She seems to get smarter every day. She is always watching and trying to take everything in. She has become an amazingly fast walker. If only we could get her to let go and walk. I have been trying to give her a lot more solids in an effort to keep up with her incredible metabolism and I hope it's paying off. I have to take her to the doctor next week to get her flu shot booster and I'm hoping they will weigh her again so I can see if my efforts are paying off. It's hard to believe she is only 2 months away from her first birthday. She doesn't really seem like a baby anymore now that she is babbling a lot and cruising around the furniture, but once she is a year she is officially not a baby anymore.
I'm also really worried about having to wean her from breastfeeding. Nathan pretty much weaned himself when he was 13 months old. He was eating a lot of solids and mainly nursing only in the morning and at night. Of course he was also sleeping through the night. I just don't think that in 3 months Megan will be sleeping through the night and eating enough solids to even be close to being done nursing. She is very attached to breastfeeding, both as a food source and for comfort. It's not that I want to stop breastfeeding, but generally when your child is a year old, other people start pressuring you to stop nursing. I want both Megan and I to be ok with stopping. I'm not saying I'll nurse her until she's 3 or anything crazy, but I will not make weaning a miserable process for either of us. I know it seems silly to worry about all this now since she's still not a year old, but time goes by so quickly and I'd like to plan ahead a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment