Sunday, March 1, 2009

What's your "Happy Weight"?

Ever since having kids I've found myself on a constant quest to lose weight. Unfortunately for me, this was pretty much uncharted territory to me, so I had/have no clue how to pick a weight that is right for me. According to the bmi scale I should weigh between 112 pounds (yeah right!) and 149 pounds. That is a big range and I know it's unrealistic to expect that I'll even weigh 112 pounds again. Even at my smallest my senior year in high school I weighed 125 and was a size 1. I can't imagine how sick I'd look if I tried to lose 13 more pounds. I also don't even feel like 125 is even an attainable goal anymore. Having four kids has so drastically changed my body I just don't think being that small is possible, or desirable really.
Anyway, I stumbled across a link to Self magazines What's your happy weight? calculator. This calculator takes things into account like your frame size, mine is large which surprised me, and whether you have kids, and other factors like that that the bmi calculator ignores. Here is a page that talk about why their formula works. I was pleasantly surprised that the weight it suggested for me was 8 pounds more than I thought I needed to weigh.
I think as women we all feel the need to be stick thin, and make ourselves completely miserable trying to attain that goal. I am tired of that and plan to embrace my 8 extra pounds. That just means I get to eat and enjoy a couple cookies now and then right?!

2 comments:

  1. I was just talking to my husband about my weight tonight. I have been trying to lose weight for I don't know how long and how many times I have been on Weight Watchers. Yes, I have lost the weight, but I just gain it back just as fast.
    So, I decided that I am not going to count points or calories, but just eat and cook at home more and use more low fat and fat free ingredients when possible.
    I am just not going to deny myself but I am just going to be smart about eating at the same time. I think that will be easier change for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found this! That definitely gives me more of a realistic weight range. It is hard to think of that when you just want to get back down to what you weighed when you were 18 years old!

    ReplyDelete