Wednesday, August 22, 2007

first day of school

Emma made it to school today with ease. There were no tears, on her part or mine, although I came close! She was so excited and brave about being dropped off at school. We'd been going over and over how things were going to happen today so she knew exactly what to expect. We all had lunch and then got her dressed and packed everyone in the car and drove the 5 miles to her school. We got there and she jumped out of the van with her lunch bag, with her snack in it, in her hand and ran up to stand in under the shady tree to wait for me to get Nathan and Megan out. We walked up the sidewalk together and as we got inside the door her teacher immediately said hi to Emma and took her to put away her snack. When Emma came back I gave her a hug and told her I'd be back later and we'd call daddy and tell him about the great day she had at school. For a split second she had a horrified look on her face as if she couldn't believe I was leaving her, but it passed and she said, "OK, bye Mommy," as I walked out the door.
I can't believe the change in her in the past six months. When we originally visited the preschool in February to see if that's where we wanted to send Emma, she threw a fit at the thought of us leaving her there. But now she is just fine and was happy to be going to school without mom, dad, or Nathan. Hopefully it will continue to be this easy and this is not just the "honeymoon phase" as my cousin calls it.

No comments:

Post a Comment