Wednesday, February 16, 2011

catch-all

Does everyone have a catch-all room or space?  Admittedly, we have a LOT of stuff.  We try to sort through and get rid of stuff we don't need anymore, but it's been a while since I've done that, so things are kind of piling up on me.  We have part of the basement still unfinished for storage, but sadly, that is full, and all the excess stuff is spilling out and ending up in the office that is really supposed to be a dining room.  I don't mind that room ending up as a storage are since it's not a room I have to be in much, but I do hate it because of the room's location.  It is right inside the front door.  So, when people come over, or someone comes to the door, the first thing they see is a room that looks like we are hoarders.  For real, it's bad right now.  It's not stacked up to the ceiling, but it's pretty full, and there really is just a path around the table in the room.  The rest of the floor is full of stuff, and there is stuff piled on top of that stuff.  It's so bad, but I don't know what else to do with it all right now.  I want to have a garage sale this spring to get rid of most of it, but in the mean time, it's just sitting in the office taking up space.
If you don't have a catch-all room, how do you keep stuff from piling up?  Do you not have extra stuff?  I do not consider myself a "stuff" person.  When I sort through the excess, if it hasn't been used since the last sort, or 6 months, then it goes in the 'get rid of' pile, but somehow over the years, we've still amassed a ton.  I'm sure part of it is having 5 kids and all the gear, toys, and clothing that they need, but even without them, I bet this would still be an issue, though maybe on a smaller scale.  Please tell me we are not the only house/family with this problem.

1 comment:

  1. You're definitely not the only one with that problem - we have a completely unfinished basement and it is full of junk! We lost our spare bedroom/office with this baby, and I just don't have anywhere else to go with everything!

    You should definitely have a garage sale this spring! I'll come over and help you! Do it while I'm on my maternity leave :-)

    ReplyDelete