Tuesday, April 7, 2009

yesterday's Oprah

ok, so maybe I'm just crazy, but yesterdays Oprah really bothered me. Yes I agree that there are a lot of things about being a mom that you just don't know, or fully understand until you are in the middle of it, but to me the show had this feel that being a mom can be so bad. None of the moms that were confessing things really did or said anything like that, but I felt like Oprah and the book writers were more focused on all the things you have to give up and how much it sucks. I'm the first to admit I'm not anywhere near the perfect mom, and that it is a very hard job, and there are definitely days I second guess myself, and I miss some of the things I had to give up, but I really don't miss the old me. Someone on there said that the old you is dead and it's so sad, but I'm kind of glad the old me is dead. I definitely wouldn't want her raising my kids. She was way to self-centered and crazy! I do agree that as moms we are all judgemental of each other and mostly of ourselves, which is sad when we could all use more support.
The other thing that bothered me was the fact that most of the women agreed with the title of the book, "I'd trade my husband for a housekeeper." Call me crazy, but I'd rather live in complete chaos and keep my husband, thank you very much. Maybe it's because I'm lucky I have an amazing husband who takes his job as a dad very seriously and helps out a ton, but I can't imagine trying to do this parenting thing completely alone. Not to mention I actually love my husband and enjoy being with him anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I am so gald I didn't watch this cause I would be right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I totally missed that episode!

    ReplyDelete